Tuesday, July 31, 2012

First Night Watch Alone on a Crossing


I did not take the first watch.  We left Key West around 10pm heading for the Dry Tortugas.  The previous two days I had spent driving from Texas.  So after 16 hours of driving the first day and 8 hours the next, I was pretty beat. 

I would love to say that I got a good night’s rest the hotel I stopped to sleep the night through…..but alas I cannot.  I was awoken at 6am by a prank caller by the name of Kevin informing me that I needed to come open up my hotel room door so he could come in and stick his (insert slang term for the male member) into my (insert distasteful word for the female anatomy).  So after that my sleep for the night was ruined. 

I crashed out pretty hard during the first watch and my watch went from 1am to 4am.  Raymond went down pretty soon after his watch was over and his dad about 30 minutes after that.  I was lucky and the seas were pretty gentle and the breeze was such that we were just motoring.  About the only thing “interesting” that I did was notice that our autopilot track took us over an exposed wreck so I altered our course around it.  Besides that I sat and listened to the Blue Collar Comedy station on XM radio. 
At the end of my watch I promptly went back down below and crashed out until morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment