Friday, April 6, 2012

Even a Princess Cooks Sometimes

I giggle a bit at the title b/c honestly I cook most of the time.  While I am learning slowly, I'm not NEAR as handy as my hubby (hmmmmm maybe I meant to say handsey).  So I figure if he's working on boat projects, which really I'm pretty sure never stop, that I may as well cook.  So I figured a share a recipe that the hubby taught me, cause he loves soups.

Water
Chicken (i like raw chicken breasts, but canned will work as well)
Veggies (you can add or take out as you wish)
     Yellow Squash
     Zuchinni
     Jalepenos (3 is how many I use)
Cajun Seasoning
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt
Lime Juice
Rice
Avocados
Shredded Cheese


Take a decent sized stock pot and fill up 1/2 to 2/3rd of the way w/ water depending on how decently sized your pot is.  As it warms to a boil start chopping your chicken if it's raw, and season it w/ the Cajun Seasoning.  Once the water boils drop in your raw chicken.  Now start to chopping your veggies.  I like to slice up mine like you would put cucumber on a salad.  If you like your soup milder, you want to core out the seeds from your peppers.  If you like it spicy like I do, slice em up!  Reduce your head to Medium.  Drop in your veggies and start to season the soup w/ your Cajun Seasoning, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, and Salt.  At this point you will cook till your veggies are ALMOST as soft as you want them.  Add a few squirts of Lime Juice and a little more seasoning if you want.  Drop in your uncooked Rice, I use 2 cups, and cook according to the package.  For me this is normally 7-10 minutes. 

Remove from heat and serve into bowls (or cups).  Slice up your Avocados for topping and sprinkle on your cheese.  If you like your soup extra cheesy try adding the cheese to the bottom of the bowl as well. 

If you use canned chicken you can season it w/ the Cajun Seasoning and drop in w/ your veggies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment